To close (sign the papers of ownership on a property), bring photo ID, and a cashier's check for the closing costs, if you haven't already sent the money to the attorney or escrow firm. Double‑check with your lawyer or escrow company about what to bring. Closing documents vary by location, property or loan type, but usually include:

  • HUD‑1 Settlement Statement

    Lists funds payable at closing.

  • Deed of Trust Note or Promissory Note

    Your promise to pay the loan back: Details the amount of your loan, interest rate, term length (usually 15 or 30 years), due dates, grace period, late charges, and any prepayment penalty fees.

  • Mortgage or Deed of Trust

    Gives the lender a lien, or legal claim, on your home if you discontinue making mortgage payments. Some states use mortgages, while others use deeds of trust.

  • Truth in Lending Disclosure (TIL)

    Shows the annual percentage rate, finance charges, amount financed, payment schedule, mortgage payment total, credit insurance, late fees and prepayment fees.

  • Affidavits

    Contains sworn statements about you, your employment and whether you'll live in the property.

  • Deed (also called a Title)

    Gives you legal ownership of the property.